I was torn as to whether I was going to call this recipe a "hummus" or a pâté, as it could arguably be either, depending on how much of the optional pumpkin seeds are added. Either way, chances are this stuff will keep you coming back for more!
- 1 x 540mL (19 flOz) chickpeas*, drained and rinsed well
- 2-3 cups baby kale
- 1 bunch basil leaves (~1/2 cup, but more doesn't hurt!) OR: 1/8 cup basil-infused olive oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower butter (OR tahini...I use sunflower)
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Herbamare (OR other herb-infused salt, or sea salt)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (if using using 1/8 cup basil-infused olive oil above, you will just need 1/8 cup plain extra-virgin olive oil)
- 3 Tbps. raw pumpkin seeds (optional, but recommended! Add even more if you want it to be a thicker pâté, or consider adding hemp seeds, or other seeds or nuts - you really can't go wrong)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional, but recommended - provides a subtle tangy, cheesy taste and an extra dose of B-vitamins)
- Optional: a dash or two of sriracha or hot sauce
Yield: ~2 cups hummus/pâté
Rub the rinsed chickpeas between your hands or a dishtowel to loosen the skins. Pick out the skins and discard them (they're hard to digest). Set aside the olive oil(s) and lemon juice. Place everything else in a food processor. Once you turn on the food processor, slowly drizzle in the lemon juice, then the olive oil(s), and process until smooth. Enjoy!
Serving suggestions: Serve with raw veggies, on your favourite crackers, or use as a pâtê in veggie wraps or sandwiches.
*Chickpeas: if using chickpeas that you soaked and cooked beforehand, even better! You'll need about 2 cups for this recipe.